Makes: 8 servings
10 Paprika Chorizo Style Sausages from The Sausage Man™
3 cans of beans (red kidney beans, butter beans, pinto beans are the ones we used)
2 celery sticks
½ bulb of garlic
2 bell peppers
1 bird’s eye chilli
1 slice of gammon joint
3 tbsp tomato puree
200 ml red wine
1 bay leaf
2 tsp thyme
2 tbsp olive oil
300 ml water
1 chicken cube
flat leaf parsley
salt and pepper
1 ½ l water
400 g cornmeal
50 g cheddar cheese
3 tbsp butter
- Peel the vegetables. Finely chop the onion. Slice the carrots, parsnip, celery and cut the bell peppers into small cubes. Mince the garlic and finely cut the chilli.
- In a pot, pour the olive oil and add the onion. Cut the gammon joint slice in thin strips and add it to the pot for added flavour.
- Sear the onions for a few minutes until they become translucent and then add in the other vegetables. Stir occasionally.
- Defrost the sausages in lukewarm water.
- After 5 minutes of cooking the vegetables, add the tomato paste, spices, beans, water, wine and the chicken cube. Boil them for another 15-20 minutes.
- Cut the sausages in bite-size pieces and add them to the pot. Cook until the vegetables are soft and the liquid has reduced. If needed, mix 2 tbsp of flour with a bit of oil and add it to the stew to thicken the sauce. Once you added the flour, boil everything for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Chop the parsley and add it to the stew. Take it off the heat and set it aside.
- In another pot, pour 1 ½ l of water and bring it to a boil on high heat. Once it boils, reduce the heat to medium and add the cornmeal in a steady slow stream, mixing constantly.
- Cook it for another 8-10 minutes, add the butter and cheese and continue mixing for a few more minutes until they are homogenously incorporated.
- Take it off the heat and serve hot. You can add sour cream to the polenta or serve the stew with some toast.
- We suggest a simple mixed greens and tomato salad next to it for added freshness and a glass of red wine or a soft drink of your choice.