Makes: 8 servings
Gel food coloring
5 tbsp vinegar
1.5 l water
Beef Sausage salad with homemade mayo:
3 Vienna Beef Frankfurter from The Sausage Man ™
7 baby potatoes
200 g garden peas
2 hard-boiled eggs
100 g pickles
Savory seasoning and Pepper
1 tsp mustard
300 ml oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
Mushrooms filled with Pork Hot Dogs and cheese:
2 Pork Hot Dogs 18 cm from The Sausage Man ™
500 g mushrooms
1 cup cheddar cheese
2 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp pepper
½ tsp salt
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp basil
1 leaf of spring onion
4 Roesti (Potato patties) or Hash Brown if you can’t get them
Oil for frying
Bacon wrapped Cheese-filled Frankfurters with Hot Pepper Honey jam:
4 Cheese Frankfurters XXL from The Sausage Man ™
12 slices smoked Bacon
Oil for frying
Hot Pepper Honey Jam:
600g hot peppers
400g bell pepper
300ml apple cider vinegar
100 ml honey
100 ml water
Juice of 1 lemon
- Defrost the Frankfurters, potato patties, bacon and hot dogs at room temperature.
- We’ll start with the dyed eggs just because they need a couple of hours to be ready. In a large pot, add water and boil the amount of eggs you’ll want to dye + 2 more eggs for the beef salad.
- Boil them for 12 minutes to make sure they are hard boiled. Drain the water and run them under a jet of cold water. Let them cool down.
- While the eggs boil, peel the potatoes, carrots and parsnips and cut them in half. Place them in a large pot with the peas and enough water to cover them and let them boil on medium heat until cooked through.
- While the eggs cool down, start boiling 1.5 l water and find 1 jar or bowl for each color of the food coloring. In every jar, add the vinegar and around 30 drops of gel food coloring. Pour a little bit of the hot water in each jar and let that warm up the glass for a few seconds before pouring more water. Fill the jars halfway with water, mix each color and then place the eggs inside. Occasionally, move them around with a spoon in the jar so they get even colors.
- When the vegetables for the Beef Salad are done, drain them of water and chop them in small cubes. Dice the 2 hardboiled eggs and the pickles as well. Place them in a serving dish and mix them.
- Cut the Vienna Beef Frankfurters in 4 and boil them for 5 minutes. They can be eaten raw as well. Cut them in small cubes and add them to the salad.
- For the mayo, get a large bowl and crack 1 whole egg in. Whisk it with the electric beaters for a few seconds. Add the mustard and vinegar and then whisk them together for 1 minute. Start adding the oil very slowly. You can add lemon juice to lighten the color of the mayo or use it if the mayo breaks at any point. Whisk it until it has the desired consistency and add it to the Beef Salad. Season with savory seasoning and pepper and mix it around.
- Cut the Pork Hot Dogs in small cubes. Grate Cheddar cheese and mix it with the hot dogs. Add 2 tbsp sour cream, salt, pepper, garlic powder and basil. Set it aside.
- In a large pan heat up 1 tbsp oil. Remove the stems of the mushrooms and place the caps in the oil, right side up.
- Cook for 3 minutes, then flip them over and fill the caps with 1 tsp of the cheese and hot dog mixture. Add 100 ml water to the pan and boil the mushrooms until cooked through and the cheese filling is melted. Remove them from the pan and sprinkle chopped spring onions on top.
- Wrap the Cheese Frankfurters in bacon. Fry them in a little oil until the bacon is crispy and has a nice color. Remove them from the pan and brush them with the hot-pepper honey jam.
- The potato patties can be fried in the same pan until they are golden on both sides. Remove them from the pan and let them drain off excess oil.
- The jam is made by deseeding and finely chopping all the peppers and apples. All the ingredients are then mixed and boiled until the jam is sticky and it has the desired flavor. Pour the jam in clean jars, close the lid as tight as possible and keep wrapped in blankets for 1-2 days, so they cool down slowly and eventually reach room temperature. It goes great with meats and pizza.
- Remove the dyed eggs from their jars and let them drain off excess water on a newspaper or kitchen towel.
- Serve these amazing dishes next to the dyed eggs and fruits. We recommend a refreshing glass of carrot juice (add a dash of ginger, if you want) and for dessert some delicious hot cross buns. Enjoy!