Vegan Pilaf Rice & Sausage
Tired of salads? Have you had enough pasta and potato dishes? Give yourself a refreshing break with this veggie pilaf rice and vegan sausages dinner. The vegetables give the rice a boost of flavour and pop of colour while the delicious vegan sausages offer the needed proteins without a trace of meat.
It’s the perfect diner to cook when you have a variety of vegetables just lying around. It’s easy to pack as a lunch and office-friendly.
Makes: 2 servings
4 Vegan Sausages from The Sausage Man™
200 g Arborio rice
600 ml water
1 bell pepper
1 small onion or 1 spring onion
4 baby corn
6 asparagus stalks
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
- Peel and slice the onion and the carrot. Dice them and the bell pepper in small squares.
- In the pot for boiling your rice, add a few drops of oil and the diced vegetables and sauté them until the onions are translucent.
- Measure 200 g rice and 600 ml water. Add them to the pot of vegetables. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 18-20 minutes on medium heat. Stir occasionally so the rice will not stick to the bottom of the pan. If your rice hasn’t cooked through yet and most of the water is absorbed, add in 100 ml extra of water.
- Defrost the sausages in a pot of room temperature water. Slice the mushrooms in approx. 0.5cm thick slices.
- Once the rice is cooked, cover with a lid and remove from the heat. It should be creamy and the grains should stick together.
- Pour a bit of oil in a regular or cast-iron skillet and heat it over medium-high heat. Add the sausages, asparagus, baby corn and mushroom slices and sear them for a few minutes. Stir the ingredients constantly so they are cooked and they catch some colour on all sides. The baby corn and mushrooms will be done in 2-4 minutes. The asparagus is done in approx. 5 minutes and the sausages can be cooked according to preference. The sausages are pre-cooked which makes them completely safe to eat straight from the fridge.
Allergens: CELERY, CEREAL/GLUTEN & SESAME.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20