Cook German Food Like The Professionals
Ever eaten at a German restaurant and wondered how the chefs make those dishes taste so delicious? Perhaps you tried a hot dog topping that you can’t get out of your head, but have no idea how to make it yourself, or even where to find the ingredients? Well this series just might help you learn that secret and more!
First in the Series
In the first episode of Chef Bjoern’s Pro Tips, he tackles the spicy Giant Chilli Beef Franks from The Sausage Man, with a side of world-famous Stealth Fries from Lamb Weston. Combining some very simple ingredients to make a topping for hot dogs that’ll knock your socks off, and the socks off all the guests at your next BBQ!
Expert Tips on German Cookery
Bjoern Wassmuth, Executive Chef of German Gymnasium, tells The Sausage Man and Lamb Weston how he prepares German food with style and panache. His top tips will help make your hot dogs more impressive, guaranteed. Chef Bjoern’s exclusive insights into how he makes his dishes look and taste amazing are now available for you to try at home!
The famous German Gymnasium sits on the junction between Kings Cross and St Pancras International, at 1 King’s Boulevard in London. Part of London’s D&D restaurant group, German Gymnasium specialises in making warming “comfort food” from Germany. Chef Bjoern’s tasty dishes taste fantastic and always look great on the plate.
Perfect Sausage Preparation
Chef Bjoern tells us: “In Germany most sausages are fully cooked before they come to the shop. The best way to reheat them is to either pop them in the oven for a couple of minutes, so they get a nice temperature at their core. Or, when you’re in a restaurant, you heat them in a lightly salted water and then pop them on a really hot chargrill to give them that nice crispy char around the sausage. But be careful – don’t go too hot, because the sausage might pop!”
GG Chilli Beef Hot Dog Topping
- 1 per dish Giant Chilli Beef Frankfurters
- 1 per dish Brioche Jumbo Hot Dog Roll
- 100g per dish Lamb Weston Stealth Fries
- 1 tsp German Chip Seasoning
- 1 fennel Fennel & Cabbage Slaw
- 1 fennel White Cabbage
- 2 tbsp Puszta Salat
- Olive Oil Drizzle
- Salt Pinch
- Pepper Pinch
- 1 Spring Onions
- 20g Fresh Coriander
- Chef Bjoern’s Chilli Beef Hot Dog Sauce
- 3 tbsp Homans Sweet Onion Hot Dog Sauce
- 1 tsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Worcester Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Hot Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Dried Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Dried Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Curry Powder Spezial 1a
- 1 Spring Onions
- 1 tbsp Paprikasalat
- Extra Toppings
- Crispy Fried Onions Pinch
- 1 Spring Onions
- 1 or 2 Sliced Jalapeño Peppers
- Fennel & Cabbage SlawFinely chop your fennel and white cabbage in medium strips. Add Puszta Salat, with some of the vinegar marinade. Add a drizzle of olive oil, with a pinch of salt and pepper. Dice some spring onions and fresh coriander then add to the mix. Let the mix marinade for a few minutes.
- Chef Bjoern’s Chilli Beef Hot Dog SaucePut a generous squirt of Homann Sweet Onion Hot Dog Sauce in a mixing bowl. Add the Tomato ketchup and Mustard. A dash of Worcester Sauce. A splash of Hot Sauce (Tabasco) and Soy Sauce. Add your dried Coriander and Cayenne. Add your Curry Powder Spezial 1a. Chop some spring onions and pickled Paprikasalat then add both to the mix. Whisk everything together until all ingredients are combined together in your sauce.
- Giant Chilli Beef FrankfurtersHeat your Giant Chilli Beef Franks in your oven for 5 minutes (10 minutes from frozen) until hot through. Alternatively, for restaurant kitchens, heat in a bain-marie (or water bath with hot water, not boiling) until warmed through. Take your pre-warmed sausages and place on the char-grill for a couple of minutes, turning once, until both sides are nicely charred.
- SidesCook your Lamb Weston Stealth Fries in your fryer until crispy and brown. Toss in a mixing bowl with a sprinkle of German Chip Seasoning and serve.
- Plating Up & Additional ToppingsTake your Brioche Bun, pack with Fennel & Cabbage Slaw, add your hot Chilli Beef Frankfurter. Top with Chef Bjoern’s Hot Dog sauce. Add Crispy Fried Onions, Spring Onions, Sliced Jalapeño Peppers for extra flavours and perfect presentation. Serve and/or enjoy!