Christmas Dinner / Sausage and cranberry stuffed pork with leaf potatoes
Ho-ho-hold on a minute!
Level up your Christmas dinner with this sausage, cheese and cranberry pork roll!
The Bratwursts have a subtle rosemary note that goes great with the roasted thyme pork! The cranberry sauce and red onions add a bit of sweetness to compliment the savory sausages.
For this holiday season, the leaf potatoes with butter and cheese sauce are the perfect side dish. If you want, you can substitute the Bratwurst for our delicious Bacon Frankfurters, Cheese filled Hot Dogs or Vienna Beef Sausages.
You can find a kit for mulled wine on our website too! Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, with family, friends and amazing food!
Makes: 4 servings
4 Bratwurst Sausages from The Sausage Man™
8 pork loin steaks
1 red onion
200 g cranberry sauce
200 g cheddar cheese
2 tsp thyme
4 tbsp olive oil
6 large potatoes
250 ml milk
2 tbsp plain flour
55 g butter
50 ml water
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven at 180 °
- Peel the potatoes and slice them very thin. Keep the small slices from the potato ends aside. Take the bigger slices and start placing them standing up, in a round oven dish. As you add more slices and move towards the centre of the dish, they will sit upright easier.
- Fill any remaining gaps with the small slices. Season with salt and pepper. You can add turmeric or paprika too. Add 30 g butter on top and the water and cover with a lid or a piece of tin foil. Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, defrost the sausages at room temperature and grate the cheddar cheese.
- In a pot, add the milk, flour and remaining butter and stir on medium heat until the butter melted, the flour got incorporated and the sauce begins to thicken. Add 100 g cheese and stir for another 2 minutes as it melts.
- When the 20 minutes on the potatoes have passed, remove the foil or the lid and place the potatoes back in the oven for 15-20 minutes. When they are almost golden brown, add 3 tbsp of the cheese sauce on top and a pinch of the remaining grated cheese and place it in the oven for 5 more minutes.
- In the meantime, butterfly the pork loin steaks (slice in half and spread them out flat). Using a meat mallet, flatten the pork slices more and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Cut the sausages in half and set them aside. Spread 1-2 tsp of cranberry sauce on the pork slices and add grated cheese. Place one sausage half on it and roll the pork around the sausage, trying to cover it entirely. Place the pork roll into an oven dish with the “seam” facing down.
- Repeat the process with all the pork slices and sausages. Sprinkle thyme over them and 2 tbsp of olive oil. Slice a red onion thinly and add the rings on top of the pork rolls. Drizzle 2 more tbsp of olive oil on top.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and add the pork rolls. Roast them for 30 minutes at 170°C and the last 10 minutes raise the temperature to 180°
- Chop a handful of parsley and sprinkle on top of the potatoes and keep them covered and warm until the pork is done. If you have room in the oven, you can prepare both dishes in advance and place them in the oven at the same time.
- Serve hot with the remaining cheese and cranberry sauces and a cup of mulled wine! Happy Holidays!