BBQ Summer Sessions – Episode 5: Sausage Salad
Sausage Salad Recipe
MasterChef finalist Chef Philli Armitage-Mattin put a summery spin on the classic Jumbo Bockwurst sausage by making a salad out of it!
Wurstsalat is a traditional German dish, beloved in Bavaria and beyond, it’s an awesome cold dish to try on a hot Summer day.
If you’ve never thought of pairing sausage and salad before, then this is a must-try dish!
BBQ Summer Sessions
Master Chef Professionals finalist, Chef Philli Armitage-Mattin, joined The Sausage Man and Weber Grills to create some extraordinary BBQ recipes! You can cook just about anything on a BBQ, and Philli helped show us how!
Filmed on location at the beautiful Bradbourne House in Kent, Chef Philli got grilling on both gas and charcoal BBQs – provided by the awesome Weber Grills – with ingredients from The Sausage Man.
Wurstsalat or Fleischsalat
German Fleischsalat (literally “Meat Salad”) is always popular. In a nation well known for its love of meat, you might not be surprised to find sausage in places it’s not usually found. Salad is certainly one of them! This said: the dish is also popular with the Swiss as well as Germans, and can often include heaps of cheese mixed in with the dressing.
In this series Chef Philli cooks up some of The Sausage Man’s epic products, with BBQ ideas for you to try at home. You’ll find some awesome new takes on classic recipes from around the world, to get your next garden party cooking!
Bursting with flavour and brimming with style – every dish in this series is a winner. Make sure you subscribe now to keep up to date – we have more recipes coming soon! Check out the Sausage Salad Recipe below and get cooking now!
BBQ Summer Sessions: Chef Philli's Sausage Salad
- Prep your grillGet your Weber Genesis grill super hot on the sides, leaving the middle glowing in the indirect heat.
- BockwurstPop your Bockwurst on the middle of the grill, close the lid and let the sausages cook for around 5 minutes.
- Get dressedFor the salad dressing, two teaspoons of Dijon mustard, two tablespoons of white wine vinegar and two tablespoons of olive oil. Whisk, then add a bit of orange juice and rosemary.
- Salad timeSlice red and white chicory down the middle into thick strips, use a mandolin to thinly slice the fennel (keeping the throngs or 'sprucy ends' for garnish) cut up into cubes a granny smith apple and slice some breakfast radish.
- Bockwurst back in actionRemove the Bockwurst from the grill and leave them to rest on the side.
- Sauce your saladThrow the salad ingredients into a bowl and garnish with the dressing you made earlier. Toss together.
- Slice the sausageSlice the sausage into thick medallions and then place on top of the salad.
- Finishing touchesAdd fennel throngs on top, and sprinkle with toasted walnuts for that extra crunch!
Like the video?
Follow us on YouTube!